Sponsor + Ad Info

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Kitsch Picks : Favorite Auxiliary Magazine Editorials


My friends over at Auxiliary Magazine have launched a crowd funding kickstarter project to take the magazine to the next level and they need all our help! Auxiliary Magazine focuses on alternative fashion, lifestyle and music, they have been producing content for five years and still going strong! 

I took part of the magazine for the first three as the Fashion Editor and in-house fashion stylist. I got to work with a lot of amazing talent, designers and contributed my fashion vision to the magazine. It was a lot of hard work, but I learned a lot and created many fun memories as well as images and articles.


Boudoir was inspired after I watched Marie Antoinette (for about the hundredth time) and finding these amazing masks on etsy by Sweet Ruin. A lot of my inspiration comes from a single piece I find from a designer and then build a whole "fashion script" for an editorial. This shoot was a lot of fun as not only is Agata a great model (I think this was the first time she was featured in Auxiliary), but building such a soft and elegant look, with a great team, has produced these beautiful images.



Before Coffin Kitsch was a blog, I made kitschy handmade pillbox hats and some of my pieces were featured in Monster Mash Up! Styling this editorial 'mash up' with so many kooky spooky prints was just too much fun! The bright and bold prints mixed with some retro elements makes this another personal favorite editorial. I think both Jennifer and I own both of those Dungaree Dolly purses. Hehe! 



I loved this editorial as I got to dress three models up in some fancy holiday finery. Ben, Kerry and Sarah all looked so elegant and relaxed with each other on camera, and behind the scenes we all just had a blast. I really enjoy working with a crew who gel well together, as there is a lot that goes on to produce the images you see in any magazine, newspaper, music video, etc. The final results involve a lot of talent and labors of love!



I got to work with Sarah once again on the editorial Saturnine which involved a lot of lovely mesh and lace. I love how Sarah's hair was such a bold contrast from the black ensembles, as her hair style gave the editorial a deathrock-esque edge.  I was so lucky to get to work with some iconic gothic fashion designers like Kambriel and Rose Mortem, their designs are so elegant and darkly romantic.

Thank you for helping me have a look back at some of my favorite fashion editorials that I've styled in Auxiliary Magazine. So, please check out Auxiliary Magazine's kickstarter to help them to reclaim the alternative fashion world and to continue to bring us all wonderful photos, content and art.



Auxiliary Magazine Kickstarter 
Auxiliary Magazine website
Auxiliary Magazine Facebook

Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

11 comments:

  1. I love Auxiliary Magazine! I'll check this out. Thanks for posting about the Kickstarter campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, clever and talented. I especially love Saturnine, it speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D I love all the dresses we featured, so beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Nice work and beautiful features! Definitely going to be checking this one out, looks right up my street :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the last two, I guess they are just closest to the style I like! I haven't been able to find nice clothes like that for a while! Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Within my price range, that is, I am poor, and op shops aren't providing much nice stuff at the moment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a bummer when the second hand shops are picked over!

      Delete
  6. Styling fashion editorials... That's a dream job right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome, lots of very hard work!!!! I'm the behind-the-scenes stylist at my job, so it's a smaller scale of what I was doing with Auxiliary ;)

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^