Sponsor + Ad Info

Monday, March 25, 2013

Kitsch Picks : Inspired by the Egyptians

Egyptian Inspiration




I've been seeing some labels like Widow Clothing using Egyptian influences on their garments and it has me excited. I've studied about Ancient Egyptian on my own and find their 'afterlife' rituals and meanings to be extremely intriguing.

Some symbols and their (loose) meaning:
Ankh: symbol of life, often seen in Egyptian tombs
Scarab beetle or the Scarabaeus sacer: transformation, renewal, and resurrection, also seen in funerary cult traditions.
Eye of Horus (also known as Eye of Ra): protection, health

Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla


12 comments:

  1. Oooh, yes please! I've loved the ancient egyptians since I was a wee chit. I really fancy those leggings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting group of gods on those leggings, heheheh... From the top; Khephri, Anpu/Anubis, Set, Djehuti/Thoth, Heru/Horus, with Ra on the bottom. (Sacrilege!! Ra will smite them for not putting him on top!) And not a goddess among them. Just goes to show that some gods will do just about anything to see a great pair of legs up close and personal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would gladly have all of these in my closet/jewelry box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Egyptian mythology, I used to wear an ankh everyday. I actually really got into ankhs because they were the symbol of life and escape in the classic Science Fiction movie, Logan's Run. I have always love Ancient Egypt though. I think it kind of goes with my Victorian obsession, as in the Victorian era, there was a bit of a Egypt craze. I plan to put it into one of my stories.

    I love Isis, she was a powerful kickass woman/ goddess. Not only did she resurrect her dead husband, but she tricked the highest god into giving her nearly equal powers, so that she was not only the most powerful goddess, but more powerful than most of the other men as well! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in charge of preserving bits and parts of dead things at work. My taxidermy box is ringed with prayers to Anubis. And I have a scarab tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ankh jewellery reminds me of when I was a kid in the 90's......I think I need to bring some of that style back into my current wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^