Sponsor + Ad Info

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Curious Professor Z's Homework Assignment : Spring!



Spring! It's here! Happy Spring Equinox! The Professor's homework assignment this month is spring and when I think of spring I think Tiki....then again I always think Tiki. Teehee! I think about the snow melting (yes, in Buffalo there is often still snow on the ground), the birds chirping and starting to shed the winter apparel and slipping into my most tacky of Tiki outfits. 

I <3 fake palm trees! 

Oh yes, Tiki is the way I get my inner colorful tacky out. I love the colors, the Mu-Mu's, the tropical themes and tribal designs, it all makes my little gothy heart smile with pure joy! I'm more into the 60s/70s barkcloth vintage styles, but I do appreciate the lovely 50s loungewear fashions. I also love vintage Tiki decor and mugs, surf and lounge music. I really enjoy Tiki culture, I'm mad for that Polynesian Pop!

Derek and I get saucy by Mr. Moai
Photos: 2011 

Though most people associate Tiki with the rockabilly scene, it's not exclusive to any one type of person stylistically and/or subculture. I like to think of Tiki as something that anyone can enjoy regardless of the way you look (or dress), grab a drink and let's hula! I haven't met too many people who can't crack a smile while sipping on a tasty tropical libation.

Derek is clearly demonstrating his Aloha spirit!

So yes, Spring has sprung, so pass me a pineapple filled with a Mai Tai and don't hold back on the kitschy drink decor. *Wink*

Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

16 comments:

  1. Omg, that green outfit he's sporting in the last picture is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a vintage cabana set that I scored from ebay, I was doing a happy dance!!!!

      Delete
  2. You two are my heroes! How fun. I also love Tiki's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My TropiGoth soulmate! I love tiki too, tho' specifically bec. I enjoy a good tropical vacation & tiki reminds me of mellow days spent with an umbrella-decked cocktail by the beach (yes, wearing tons of sunscreen ;-). My hubbi & I recently turned our backyard into a tiki-themed cabana, which I'll have to feature on my blog when the weather warms up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh, I would love to see photos! If you come home to two weirdo's in your back yard, it most likely be Derek and I ;)

      Delete
  4. Cool take on the spring theme although Tiki for me always screams "Summer!"... And Derek is just the coolest guy ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally screams summer, I agree! I'm starting to prepare for a trip to Florida in April and have Tiki on the brain ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, you two are just the bee's knees! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if you ever go to nyc, you should really go to otto's shrunken head. it's a punk tiki bar and is totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I love Otto's! Listening to post punk and sipping Tiki drinks=heaven =D

      Delete
  7. I make excellent tiki drinks. My next task will be to make my own falernum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Derek makes his own falernum=deeeelicious!

      Delete
  8. This really makes me want to have a tiki themed party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^