Sponsor + Ad Info

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Welcome To My Closet


Hello dear readers! I've been tidying up our closet (room) and thought I'd share a glimpse into my wardrobe and how I like to organize my clothing. With my 'I have enough, I am enough' frame of mind, I've been mixing and matching up my clothing and re-discovering some favorites.

+Top rack (left to right): cardigans w/graphics, pullover sweaters & plain cardigans, two piles of jeans/pants, and two piles of leggings at the end.

+Hanging (left to right): dresses are organized by strap style (spaghetti strap, sleeveless, sleeve type, collared and long dresses) next to dresses are; kimono's, skirts, short sleeve blouses, long sleeve blouses, blazers and long style sweaters.

+Short bottom row: vests and short skirts

Since our upstairs is divided into three sections, we decided to use the central room as our bedroom and use the front room as my sewing room and the back room as our closet. The room is meant to be used as a 'bedroom', so we had to come up with a way to store all our clothing and shoes. Derek graciously installed a Rubbermaid custom closet system to the wall to create hanging storage. The system was a pain in the royal arse to install as we have plaster and lath walls, but Derek is a rock star and has the patience of a saint. We plan to install more of the closet system on the opposite wall, so Derek can hang/organize more of his clothing than what is fitting on the double rolling rack....plus I has some clothing taking up room on the rack as well. Eeek! LOL! Basically we're still working out the kinks.


My part of the "shoe room" contains my boots and shoes, a few of my hats, belts and small purses. I try and keep my shoes in order (and not piled on each other) to keep them in good condition. I also polish and winterize my shoes as well as go to a cobbler to get soles re-attached or just for general repairs. Shoes are an investment, so we try our best to prolong the life of our beloved footwear for as long as possible. 


Not the prettiest of corners, but I used the storage I already had to keep all my hair scarves, belts, stockings and jewelry in order. I took pant hangers, that we had no more use for, and they now are my necklaces and sunglasses holder's. I have my paper parasols and two wide brimmed hats stacked on a styrofoam head. Oh, and the orange bouquet of flowers is from our wedding, they are fake and I will have them forever. *Wink*


And finally, here is the top of my dresser. I have a two-tiered silver tray (thrift store find) that I keep some of my brooches on, wooden jewelry box, the black ceramic cat holds my bracelets, ornate necklace stand on the back left, and the plastic box on the far left (thrift store find) keeps my dangle earrings organized in the little interior spaces.

Thank you for spending some time in my closet with me! 
Any tips or storage ideas you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them!

XOXO-Meagan Kyla

27 comments:

  1. Looks great! I just bought a desk that I will use as a vanity/makeup station, so that I finally will get my makeup & jewelry in order..!

    Hugs, and I wish you a happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! I have a vanity and I LOVE it, especially since we only have one small bathroom that I can't take over with hair/makeup supplies.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love seeing how people store their clothes/stuff! Maybe it's because I seriously "dig" organizational systems. The Container Store is having a massive on-line sale (I'm sure the store is as well, but I don't know if you have one by you) and I highly recommend taking a look, even if it's for inspiration.

    With that said, I would give a king's ransom for a whole room as a closet. This apartment living sucks. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, I'll have to check out the container store! I also love seeing how people organize and store their clothing....I love organizing and sorting!!!

      Apartment living can be a major downer in the storage/room department. I thank the Gods that my dream of a spacious closet has come to life. One day you'll have a larger living space :)

      Delete
  3. Nice :) I just wish to have that much space in my dressing room. Two-tiered silver tray is a good idea for brooches :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh... fabulous wardrobe, fabulously organized! :D

    Kudos to Derek for installing on a lath and plaster wall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Torture, I tell you. I love/despise things of this sort because it's like "oh wow! I see something awesome! But wait I can't actually take it out" lol!

    You've got a heck of a fabulous set up; like a mini dressing room! That also is a great idea using a small room for a closet... I'll have to keep this in mind when we go house hunting again, heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great use of space and in a house where the two of us are clothing collectors, it was a no brainer! Since we made the room into our closet, it means the other closets (in the two downstairs rooms) aren't overrun with all of our clothing/shoes.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! Wish I had that much room for my stuff! Some day... qwq
    Very nice organizing solutions too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me many years of having cramped closets/no closets when I rented. You will get your dream closet someday ;)

      Delete
  7. That's wonderfully well organized! <3 I'm in envy! My own wardrobe suffers a bit from the common problem of being to small and thus a complete chaos most of the time. I'd LOVE to have a walk-in closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally understand!!! All the years I was a renter, I experienced the exact same thing. Underbed storage totes were my friend ;)

      Delete
  8. Sweet! This post has inspired me. I have accumulated a lot of clothing, shoes and accessories and it is time for a clean-out/re-organization of these things!! The best thing I ever did was discover a good shoe repair shop......I agree with you, shoes are an investment! To me it is a good use of money to get shoes polished up and repaired if they are something you really love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One can never have too many errr... Robert Smiths;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I had a nice size closet... you have a ROOM! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a room! Hehehe, it's a little awkward to use as a closet, but in time we'll work it out :)

      Delete
  11. Ooooh, I want to raid that closet for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very lovely and well organized. That you for this wonderful peek inside your awesome wardrobe. Those hanger style accessory/jewelry holders are fabulous!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe! Thank you! I was about to donate the hangers when a bolt of re-purposing creativity struck! I love it when my brain does that. LOL!

      Delete
  13. You are so organized. That is so great to be able to use a spare room for a closet. It'd be great to have a whole room just decided to clothes, shoes and accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all those years of working retail have helped me to be organized ;) It definitely can get chaotic in the closet room, but I try to keep it as tidy as possible!

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^