Sponsor + Ad Info

Thursday, February 14, 2013

This is CorpGoth Mid-Status Report : Love What You Do

Yeah, what the hell do you do Meagan? Well, over the past few years I've been working as a stylist, blogger, lead retail sales, and running my own etsy shop. Though I'm not rolling in the dough, so to speak, yet I am really doing what I love!


It's been a long road to get to the place where I am right now, lots of frustration, tears, confusion and self-doubt. I always loved fashion, in fact I wanted to go to school for menswear and got excepted into the F.I.T fashion department at age 17, but stayed home and went to school in Buffalo. Unfortunately I never finished any sort of degree, but had been working since the young age of 14, so I had built up a lot of life skills and good work ethic. Let's just say I didn't do things easily in my youth.

After working a few really good paying management jobs, I got sick of retail and went into office work....which I was unhappy with, I just felt like I am floating into the sea of 'I'm just working to pay the bills'. During this time a group of my friend's talked about starting up an alternative fashion magazine, later named Auxiliary Magazine and the rest (as they say) is history. The magazine helped me hone in on my love for fashion, from retro styling to punk to goth to everything in between, a lot of times meshing them together. Fashion is art after all!

One of my favorite editorials I styled 'Anticipation' 
Photography by Jennifer Link

My experience with Auxiliary Magazine built me a great portfolio, introduced me to a lot of great designers and encouraged me to work on other stylist projects. My only regret was not being more boastful about it, I'm not an egotistical person, but I do believe that a person should be proud of their accomplishments. Perhaps one of my downfalls is being too modest. I'm an awesome stylist, there I said it. Haha! After 3 years of being the Fashion Editor, I decided to concentrate on my own path, but I still support my friend's as they continue to put out amazing work! 


So, there you have it dear readers, a little insight as to why I love what I do! I really enjoy blogging, sewing for Coffin Kitsch, and helping people look and feel good. Plus I get to work at Cats Like Us and play with pretty dresses all day, can't complain about that! 

I hope you love what you do!
Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

15 comments:

  1. What an awesome resume you have! Totally unique & I can see why you love it. Thanks for sharing your status report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be very proud of your accomplishments, Meagan - you're an amazing stylist, and I love your blog and everything in your Etsy shop! But I agree, it's hard to promote yourself - I'm not very good at it either.

    I have to say that the retail job I've loved best over the years was at the clothing boutique ... helping someone feel good about themselves and how they look is an art form in itself! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might have taken a bumpy road, but you arrived a big success! You have a marvelous eye for style. I always enjoy seeing your outfit creations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Usually the best are the most modest about what they do ;)
    Sometimes to a fault, eheh-- I was so bad at self promoting, I ended up become a detriment to myself.
    Your work is clearly worth the pride; it sounds like it took a long time to get there, so why not enjoy it.



    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! You should boast more! I did not even know you were involved with Auxiliary magazine! That is so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, you have no IDEA how much I want your vest. One day, when I'm a ridiculously well paid doctor with oodles of money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, means a lot. I put a lot of love into this vest in particular ;) I tell myself "You can't keep everything, you can't keep everything"

      Delete
  7. I really did enjoy your stuff in Auxiliary. I wanted that long Heavy Red dress so badly (unfortunately it is not cut for someone of my body type, I can tell by looking at it but those pictures just about made me order it anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, good for you for having the balls to walk away from something you didn't like even though it was a good paying job, that's definitely a tough decision!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are living the dream! :D I'm kinda jealous. Your job sounds so much more rewarding than sitting in front of a computer. Congrats on your success as a stylist! You are awesome at it, indeed. So nice to see someone doing what they were MEANT to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not rolling in the dough, but I'm really happy, content and I hope some day to have my own line of jackets!

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^