Sponsor + Ad Info

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A Touch of the 60s


I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love 60s fashions. Though I work at a retro clothing boutique that focuses on 40s and 50s, we just dip our toes into the 60s. When most people think of 'retro' they either think of the 80s (which is an obvious other decade I love) and the 50s---but, this is a generalized idea from my own experiences.


Oh yes, back to my love of 60s silhouette's. I love boxy boatneck style tops paired with pedal pusher pants and flat shoes. I love Peter Pan collar mini dresses, black and white geometric prints and crushed velvet frocks. I love A-line scooter dresses (even though they look terrible on my shape) and I'm totally mad for Mod. 

Top also featured here

What I have learned from being a stylist, sales person and clothing enthusiast is that you can take elements from any decade that you love and incorporate them into your own personal style. You don't have to go off the wall and dress in that era specific clothing from head to toe (unless that's what makes you happy), but simply make it your own. There are no rules! 


Wearing; skeleton hands top (made by Leslie. Top pattern Simplicity 7051), pedal pushers (VooDoo Vixen), purple skull earrings (Kreepsville 666), flats (H&M)


In theme with me modifying my Hell Bunny dress in my last blog post, I wanted to share a little mod that was quick and easy. I have narrow feet and find that a lot of fabric style flats slip off my feet, so I like to add elastic straps! Simply hand sew elastic into the inside of the shoe and Voila!, no slippage. This little solution works best with canvas or lightweight, flexible fabric shoes. Side note-the elastic was salvaged materials from another choppy-choppy project. 

Do you have a favorite decade(s) and/or era(s) that inspire you?

Thank you for reading, until next time!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

11 comments:

  1. That is a cute top! Off topic but I never really seen all your tattoos. They look very nice. I remember you posting about your hubby being a tattoo artist, are your tattoos all his artwork?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is a tattoo artist and he's done about 90% of my tattoos. Interesting that you bring that up as I don't often talk about my tattoos. Perhaps that is a future blog post idea..... ;)

      Delete
  2. That top is incredible! My first thought about this wonderful outfit is that it strikes me as a goth version of something the TV character Laura Petrie (from The Dyck Van Dike Show) would wear. :) My second is how sensational it is on you!

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, yes! I love that comparison! She has great style =D Thank you for the inspiration, I must re-watch the show!

      Delete
  3. I love 60's styles and I love seeing you wear them! Awesome outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't a fan of the 60s until I saw what the Swedish poppare people were doing, which you should definitely check out if you don't know all about this already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked it out and it's an AMAZING style. Must know more! Thank you for hipping me!

      Delete
  5. OMG that top is amazing! Great print, great shape, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shape really does it for me, I need to reproduce these in more Halloween prints. LOL!!!

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^