Sponsor + Ad Info

Monday, February 3, 2014

Bettie Page Revels All


On Sunday, the gang and I went to go see the 'Bettie Page Revels All' movie that was screening at the (Kodak) Eastman Theater in Rochester, NY. The movie is an authorized biography narrated by Bettie herself and told the story of her life, her loves, her modeling and her ultimate disappearance at the height of her career. The woman has had a very interesting life and her bondage and nude modeling is just the tip of iceberg!

I have read books about Bettie Page as well as watched the unauthorized movie, 'The Notorious Bettie Page', but my interest in this cult icon started when I first picked up My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult's album titled Sexplosion in which Bettie graced the cover. I was intrigued!


After picking up this record, I started to take notice of Bettie's image that would pop up here and there, so I would buy anything and everything I could get my hands on. It was the mid-90s and I was a high school student, so I didn't often use the internet at home to look up information (Google wasn't created until 1998 and hello, dial-up!), so whatever little bit I could find out about this 50s pin up queen had me hooked.

Her image also had a great effect on me. I loved her smile and her hair! She represented a woman who was strong and (even when nude) exuded a confidence that was classy and natural. I admired that about her and still do. Of course, I have to credit her for crudely cutting my own "Bettie bangs" in high school, which became a sort of signature look for me that I had for years and years. I would have men and women say, "I love your Bettie Page hair", even though I was a blonde. Haha! Gee, I know what photos you're looking at! *Wink*


Bettie bangs! Me, Christina, Celeste. circa 2002?

When a time (1950s) when anything that was sexual or sexually arousing was considered bad or amoral-almost like we went back to the Victorian Era-there was Bettie Page!


I wore my leopard print blazer to the movie as my small nob to the pin up queen. 

PS-The movie is good, I recommend you see it if it rolls through your town.

Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

3 comments:

  1. I have heard of this, I really want to see it, although who knows how long it will take to get to Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blazer is so nice! I also had a Betty Page Bangs period in the end of the 90's, I was a rockabilly girl back then. A pity that my round face isn't fit for bangs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bettie :D I remember hoarding photos of her as a teen :D However I haven't watch any of mentioned movies (yet!), shame on me :D But yes, she was indeed fascinating, I always admired how innocent she was looking, even while nude :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^