Sponsor + Ad Info

Friday, December 27, 2013

My Style Essentials

I've been using Pinterest a lot and I've discovered that not only do I love to use it for internet window shopping, but it's given me a really objective look at my tastes and style in fashion. Though I'm not oblivious to what's in my closet, it's nice to hone in on what's the pulse of wardrobe and what makes me happy. From time-to-time I think to myself, "Am I being so predictable?", but then I get real with myself and realize that I'm drawn to certain cuts/patterns/material/etc.because, it's taken a lot of trial and error to get to where I am today.

So here's my personal style essentials broken down, because I find being analytical about fashion is just as fun as wearing something because it's aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

1) Dresses. I love them, can't get enough of them and my favorite style is the A-line aka skater dress. I love to layer them with cardigans and patterned leggings/tights with boots. If I could I would have a black lace dress for every day of the week!

2) A-line Skirts. I like a high waisted, A-line skirt as it's figure flattering, comfortable and versatile way to wear everything from my t-shirts to my sweaters. 

3)Jackets. Well, blazers and moto styles to be specific, are plentiful in my closet. I like the structure of a blazer, it nips in and defines my waist line and I can wear them with t-shirts to bow-front blouses. I feel confident and tidy even when I wear a jacket with patches and artwork all over it.

4)Patterned Leggings. I often like to add patterns to my (mostly black) outfits and adding patterned leggings is an easy and effective way to do so. It's usually an inexpensive way to indulge in something new to spruce up an old ensemble.

5)Collared Shirts. I am obsessed with collars whether it's on a dress, sleeveless blouse or on a jacket, I like the structured look which I attribute to my love of menswear and infusing it into my style.

6)Leopard Print. It's the one pattern that has followed me since high school. My love affair with leopard started with a vintage faux fur that I got for $20 at the Clarence Flea Market. I wore it until the sleeves fell of.....multiple times.

7)Cardigans. I live where it can be four seasons in one day, so layering is essential and a cardigan is one piece that gets used year round. I have cardigans in every style from cropped to long to over-sized, I always want more!

8)Ankle boots. I wear them with leggings, jeans, skirts, dresses, etc. I've worn "fashion boots" (as I called them in the 80s) since I can remember. They are versatile and they fit into most of my style combinations effortlessly.

Other style elements include:
-a plethora of accessories
-black and white
-Peter Pan collars (I'm always on the hunt!)
-vintage touches influenced from the Victorian Era, 50s, 60s and 80s

What are your style essentials? I'd love to see yours!

Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

10 comments:

  1. I have more jackets than anything! And patterned leggings really make an outfit. Here is a post of mine about my new closet. http://violetisodd.blogspot.com/2013/09/fall-inspiration-and-my-new-closet.html
    But I really need to do a post about my fashion inspirations or my closet necessities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a post about your fashion inspirations and I enjoyed your post you linked. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. My style essentials seem to be faded black hoodies and never bothering to change earrings. My hair color changes with every shower, though, so I think that makes up for my wardrobe stagnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Colored hair when washed is always an exciting adventure of ever changing fun ;)

      Delete
  3. My style essentials would have to be skinny jeans, boats, a line skirts, stripes (especially black and white and anything with purple in), jewellery and nail varnish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No 1, 4, 7 and 8 are also staples in my wardrobe. Those are my day to day wear and I feel very comfortable in them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O my. Style staples...40's, 50's, Victoriana, pencil skirts, a wide belt, black, red, leopard print, costume jewellery, insect and snake motifs, seamed stockings or fishnets...I'm just a magpie I think >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesomely elegant. You would dig where I work, www.catslikeus.com :)

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^