Sponsor + Ad Info

Sunday, February 26, 2012

All The Bats Are Grey



Well, it's really 'all the CATS are grey' as in the title of a Cure song off 'Faith'. But I digress, whether you spell it grey or gray, the theme for Sophistique Noir's monthly post is calling all the goths (or dark clad creatures-of-the-night) to show us your grey!

Since I already had my hair done up (in my previous outfit blog) which was still rockin' the height even after sleeping on it, so I put on one of my favorite dresses that happens to be grey AND covered in bats. Oh yes, I'm a wee bit batty. I am a sucker for anything kitschy and fun, especially a cotton, flirty and easy to wear dress. Even though I choose to wear a 'loud' print, I like to tone down everything else with solid black and add some details here and there, like with the buckles on my boots to break up the leg line and give some visual interest. The dress becomes the focus and everything else is a compliment, as when it comes to alternative styling I truly believe that you should see YOU in the clothing, not just the clothing.


I know. I know. It's that same white wall again. Unfortunately our apartment is small and pretty busy with all our home decor, that my outfits get lost when I pose anywhere but in front of this wall in my bedroom. I'm using natural lighting which is my favorite as I hate when I have to use the dreaded flash. Thanks for bearing with me while I slowly improve and some day I'll steal the better camera away from my husband. Hehe!


I wanted to show the sweet heart strapless bust on the dress, as this is a very flattering neckline for any women, yet I'm just not very comfortable in strapless. It could be the feeling of falling out (I don't have much to 'hold' a strapless dress up) or just feeling very exposed, that's why I wear a little sweater or load up on jewelry to give me a false sense of being covered up. I'm actually a pretty modest dresser, I've always been, perhaps that's why I go crazy with my hair. *Wink* I also wanted to show that I'm wearing an elastic waist belt as it's hiding the wide black band of the dress, as I wanted to emphasize my waist being that the dress is a smidge too big on me. 

What I'm wearing:
Bat Attack Dress: Sourpuss Clothing
Lace back sweater: Kohl's
Leggings: Target
Buckle booties: amazon.com ($12!)
Elastic waist belt: Forever 21
Chain necklace: ????
Rhinestone cross earrings: Forever 21
Spike and pyramid stud bracelets: newest purchase from Forever 21

What are your tips and tricks for making something you wear more 'in' your comfort zone?

Thanks for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

16 comments:

  1. Super cute dress, and I love your hair.

    I have a few rules to being in my comfort zone--cardigan when I'm on my own; more modest dress when I'm on my own; let it all out when my boyfriend is with me. Mini skirts, no cardigan, over-the-knee socks--all those things I'm too afraid would bring on cat calls if I wear them without a man around! So I guess what I'm saying is---use a man as an accessory! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you doll! I agree about being a little more scandalous when companion is around, I do the same. I have to admit when people say inappropriate things to me I sorta 'tell them where to go'. Hahahaha!

      Delete
  2. WOW! That is one gorgeous dress! And I love the way you styled it with the belt and cardigan. I'm a sucker for cardigans regardless of whether I want to cover up or not. I have a bit of nostalgia attached to an oversized cardigan -- I wore a black cotton one throughout my four years of high school. By the time I graduated it was in shreds and looking better than ever! ;)

    Wait, did you just say you slept on your deathhawk? Seriously? I'm super impressed! And darling, you look Booooo-tiful! MUAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely love I do enjoy that particular dress/belt/sweater combo.

      I love cardigans and especially when they are well loved, Gods know I have quite a few in my collection! ;)

      I slept on that bad boy and it was up and at attention! Thank you Bed Head!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. love your hair :-D

    and that dress is beautiful on you! no matter whats in the background...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that we both did a gray print dress + wide elastic belt + shrug for today's theme! :-D I occasionally love a good piece of batty clothing, and this one is perfection. And wow - those shoes, $12?!? Are they comfortable? They look amazing.

    I'm with Hexotica: I am more bold in the sexiness of my attire when I have Mr. Kitty with me. If he's not around, my main thing is to keep the cleavage covered, whether it's with a cami or a cardigan. The boobs don't come out without a male companion! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were channeling each other ;) I love it!

      The shoes are VERY comfy, I wear them all the time. They were a limited edition Target designer (I forgot their name) boot that I got off amazon for a bargain. The buckles didn't look as gold in the photo, yet in real life they are GOLD. I got over it as they aren't terrible offensive and well, I love pointy ankle boots!

      LOL @ boobs don't come out with a male companion! I think that is a really good rule to follow ;) <3

      Delete
  5. Aww! That dress is soo cute! Love the cut and the bat pattern. It's very flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! It is soooo comfy! I appreciate you reading my little blog <3

      Delete
  6. How is it possible it's the first time I'm visiting your blog? I'm sure I'm going to spend much time browsing through your awesome outfits :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww shucks, thank you! Welcome and thanks for reading!!!!

      Delete
  7. Simple white background is fine, and at least you can take pictures, I only have a phone as a picture-taking device. :D

    I really like the dress, and the whole style looks great together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll!!! :)Good luck on the photo device, you can get a decent digital camera for under $50 these days!

      Delete
  8. Cute outfit! Unfortunately, I don't think I have much of a comfort zone when it comes to dressing myself sometimes, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^