Sponsor + Ad Info

Friday, May 22, 2015

Happy World Goth Day!


Happy World Goth Day! Though I've never celebrated the day per say, yet it's still nice that people are coming together throughout the world! Just don't hug the goths....unless they like it. Hehe!


My goth "coming of age story" is not really clear. I was in High School and was alternative, I started going to raves at 14 and was into going to local shows. The 90s were a weird time, but a time where none of my friend's defined themselves as 'this or that', we just all hung out together. One big motley crew!

I don't know if it was fate when I had a guy come up to be at a hardcore show (we later "dated", I was only 14 and nothing happened other than hanging out) and asked me "Do you like The Cure?". Which I said, yes. Turns out he was a HUGE crazy Cure fan and gifted me with all sorts of music. I remember the one time we were hanging out listening to music and he turned and looked at me and said, "You are like Charlotte Sometimes", I had no idea what he was talking about other than The Cure song. Later on, after really listening to the lyrics of "Charlotte Sometimes", I understood and it has became my favorite Cure song. It was as if a seed had been planted......


My journey into goth wasn't really an exciting one, just a series of discoveries into industrial music (techno music was the gateway drug), than goth, and then the black fashion followed. Music has always been the number one influence on me as well as spending hours watching music videos and reading magazines and books about our beloved subculture. 

So, Happy World Goth Day dear readers! Now let's all go dance to the record version of, "Bela Lugosi's Dead"...all 9 minutes and 30 seconds of it. Phew! 

XOXO-Meagan Kyla

13 comments:

  1. Kinda sounds like me growing up. When I was in my teens, I described myself as alternative and started to merge into goth in my early twenties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to the local "goth club" at 17, used a fake ID to get in and went by myself. I was ballsy ;)

      Delete
  2. In the early '80s, I loved new wave/New Romanticism, both music and fashion. Also loved synth pop. But I never really saw a goth until I visited London in 1985. They were everywhere back then! My mom was kind of strict with what I wore but I started wearing more black after that. Roughly around that time, I started getting into Siouxsie, The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Love And Rockets, and the rest of the usual suspects. A little bit of early industrial too. When I was in college, I was introduced to the wonders of 4AD's dark wave roster, especially The Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance. I still listened to indie, punk, "alternative," or whatever else appealed to me. By the end of the '80s/early '90s I was even getting coerced into house, that whole "Madchester" scene, and some hip hop. All of that said, I've had a lifelong interest in the paranormal, horror movies, and other dark/spooky topics. I'm probably even more "goth" in that respect than in any other way now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dress! I am very jealous e shakti doesn't ship to Australia!

    I love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'm going to try to grow my bangs longer=been wearing them off my face. It's odd, eShakti used to ship Worldwide, but too many complications with shipping made them switch to USA only. =/

      Delete
  4. Love the outfit! You really have a knack for black dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daddy was an artist and Mummy was an undertaker. I didn't have a hope of being anything else. Oh and the chance of still finding beautiful music like this with all the crap thats being produced today.........https://youtu.be/I9AQ-6RAaoc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehhe! Yes, I'm sure you had a very colorful childhood ;)
      There is a lot of great music, it's just harder to find ;)

      Delete
  6. Happy belated World Goth Day! Every body has a story to tell! It's so nice to get a little snippet of yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^