Sponsor + Ad Info

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Reader Question : Handbag Help


I got an email from a reader, Andra and she asked me this question:

I read your blog quasi-religiously and I love you style. I was hoping I could talk you into doing a special about handbag and outfit combinations. I feel that when I put together an outfit my handbag of choice is often forced. I would really like to see how you put handbags and outfits together. 

Thank you Andra for reading and for writing to me!

This is a great topic as I actually really love handbags and I believe that can really add pattern/texture/shine to an outfit! Other than using a handbag/purse or tote for a day-to-day purpose (like schlepping my lunch or change of shoes for work), I like to use a handbag to as an extention of an outfit or sort of like putting a period at the end of the sentence.

Just like any accessory to fashion, it's personal taste that always should be the winner, but here are a few ways I would pair a purse with an outfit.

Large Print



Polka dots are a neutral in my world, along with leopard print and bat print. Hahaha! Since I'm wearing such a large print, I have paired the outfit with either the Edward Scissorhands handbag, due to the shine of the vinyl matching my belt and the one large graphic complimenting the black and white dress, or I would use a 'pop' of color and go with the purple sparkle Hold Fast Handbags purse. I wouldn't choose a bag with 'too much going on' in terms of hardware or print, yet seeing as I am wearing a large neutral print, playing with color, shine or sparkle makes for endless possibilities.

LBD


When it comes to a solid black dress, the sky is the limit in terms of pairings, but I like to put the focus on my shoes and accessories when I am wearing basic black. So I would either pair this casual LBD with a handbag with a pattern, like the Grey Doll black and white stripe handbag or with a novelty bag like the Coffin Handbag by Killstar. I love the coffin purse, because it adds some real visual interest and I like coffin-shaped things. Hehe!

Casual


I realize my definition of casual is a little different, yet I wanted to show what I would wear with this outfit if I took off the hat and replaced the shoes with little black sneakers or flats. I would wear the top/jacket/pants combo for casual days of running errands, going thrifting or just hanging out. I would wear a cross-body bag like the Wink-Wink cross body bag or the leopard bag, because I like to have both my hands free and this style tends to be more secure when maneuvering through crowds. I don't think the bag needs to match the outfit persay as it's more for function over fashion, but if you like to use this style of bag all the time (which I tend to use the most), I like to choose one that is fun and neutral that 'goes' with most everything.

There are so many more outfit combo, but I wanted to highlight three general looks to generate some ideas! I hope this helps Andra!

Are you a one bag sort of person? How do you like to pair your handbags with your outfits?

Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love those bags you listed! Especially the eye one. Aesthetically, I like old-fashioned classic leather-luggage-looking bags, but leather bags weigh a thousand pounds and I'm not strong enough to carry them! I usually rely on pockets and like travel light. Sometimes I'm a weirdo and just hold my phone, keys. and wallet in my hand all day. When I actually need a bag, I use my canvas tote bag my company gave me. Tote bags are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Very interesting :)

    I have tried to keep my handbag collection as small as possible. They are mostly black, a couple of them have white details so they are very easy to pair with an outfit. Usually I choose the bag of the day according to function: how much space do I need and do I want effortless of a cross-body bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a one bag kind of girl for daytime stuff. I have one nice bag that I use every day for work and going about my daily business. For clubbing purposes, I have several tiny purses and clutches that match different outfits as one can still carry a small bag while dancing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^