Sponsor + Ad Info

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spooky Cocktail Party Attire


I went to a spooktacular cocktail party at friend's and decided to make 'bloody bat and tombstone sandwiches' aka peanut butter and blackberry jam sandwiches. I have to admit I love eating bat shaped food items, haha!




I decided since it was a cocktail party that I would wear a pillbox hat that I made and have never worn. I used to make pillbox hats and sell them in my shop before discovering my love for upcycling clothing was shared by others. This particular hat is black vinyl with a skeleton hand detail and black feathers, I even made a black vinyl bow. Making hats are time consuming, especially when you are making the hat bases from scratch, but I do enjoy wearing them!



I'm wearing a halter style polka dot dress made by the lovely and talented Miss Dolly of Dungaree Dolly, she made this as a special gift from Derek. She doesn't make dresses for the public, so I cherish this special garment. 


The dress has a full circle skirt and though I would wear a crinoline underneath for swing dances, I decided to spare the party guests from being entrapped in my massive dress. Fashion can be dangerous! Though this silhouette is flattering, I have realized that I've been more drawn to 60's shift dresses and babydolls, but I will always love mixing 50s styles with my creepy kitschy touches.

Thanks for reading! I hope everyone is enjoying the wonderful month of October.
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

11 comments:

  1. I love that dress! I've been planning on doing some 50s sewing...sadly goth fabrics aren't in for this Halloween, so I might have to make use of Spoonflower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea!! I'll try it out X)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit!
    I love polka dot dresses, I love a spiderweb pattern, I love patent heels! It's amazing! This really is a perfect pin-up look :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sandwiches looks so phantastic!!! And your Dress is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sandwiches were a hit at the party :)

      Delete
  5. I really love the hat, it's a really unique piece. It looks like you've done a really nice job of making it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always make my scones in bat shapes. I have no idea why. I always have.

    Your dress is to die for! What a lucky acquisition. And I think you should start making/selling those hats again. Srsly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to sample a bat scone, that sounds adorable and delicious!

      Thank you, the dress is definitely a gem and the fact that Derek had it made for me as a surprise makes it even more special. As for my hats, they are labor intensive and no one wanted to pay $40 for a completely handmade hat. I think I was charging way too little, but I realized I am just going to make them for myself and as gifts. :)

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^