Sponsor + Ad Info

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Memento Mori : "Funeral" Attire


The invitation was an obituary, so clever!

We were invited to a "funeral" themed Halloween party on Friday at our friend's house and were asked to come in funeral attire, of course this is no problem for Derek and I, so we were happy to adorn ourselves in Victorian mourning.


I am not historically accurate (though I would love to be someday) with my clothing, but I managed. Luckily I pulled some items like the skirt and hat from my best friend Melanie's closet, I have lovely items in my closet, but they have been used so many times and I wanted something "new" to me. 


The gorgeous hat is by Ms. Purdy, I am so happy I got to borrow Melanie's hat, it's amazing and I received many compliments! I am also wearing a 'standard' puff sleeve button-up collared top in which I tied my wonderful lace neck ruffle by Misfit Chic under the shirt collar to give me a fuller ruffled look. I added a cameo pendant that was purchased at Michael's some years ago as a neck accent and well, I love wearing cameos. 

What can I say, I had fun posing in this luscious velvet frock coat borrowed from Melanie's clothing archives. This jacket is by the now long gone (sadly) clothing store Siren which was located in Toronto, CA. Siren was a wonderful goth store and sold it's own clothing and though very pricey, well worth the capital, I think Melanie bought this jacket around 1998 and it's still here!


Very interesting that the velvet frock coat was actually black and has now turned a blood red, we all agreed it made us love the coat even more. Haha! But I have to admit, I don't miss dressing like this back in my clubbing hay-days. So much fruff and ruff, discomfort and I was so incredibly warm, yet when we went out to our local goth night after the party and I was twirling on the dance floor.......it was so nostalgic. At one point two of my best friends, Derek and I were all dancing to Ministry's "Everyday Is Halloween" and I just couldn't stop smiling, it was like the "old days". Though I don't like to dwell on times past, it's so amazing to still be around the same wonderful souls I've known for the past ten years.

A dapper Derek is dapper!

As a bit of a side note I'd like to add, though I am very interested in the macabre, the morose and Victorian mourning and funerary arts, I do respect the dead and the delicate nature of mourning. I have lost many people near and dear to me and by no means enjoy attending funerals as they are very sober and emotionally draining events. Though I embrace death it does, by no means, mean that I don't appreciate life.

Thanks for reading!!!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

13 comments:

  1. You two look fabulous! The velvet jacket and skirt are to die for (no pun intended). Sounds like you had a very fun night. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, but can we say the pun IS intended ;) Hehe!

      Delete
  2. I was salivating quite profusely over that frock coat specifically because of its colour, and then read it was originally black! What a lucky accident!!

    You both look fantastic - he quite suits a top hat, doesn't he? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you miss! Derek does look fantastic in top hats, he also shares my hat love. :)

      Delete
  3. You look awesome! Just my style, tho' I don't get much chance to wear that these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! You will find time in the next year, I'm sure ;)

      Delete
  4. You both look beautiful - wow, hats really suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful couple! I love your outfit. The velvet skirt and the accidentaly bloodred coat, so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both look amazing! I want that jacket of yours! Deep blood red is such a lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I wish Siren still made clothing =/

      Delete
  7. This is soooooo stunning! Ooh, and you threw a little Gallery Serpentine in there - my favorite!! You both look amazing. I get so excited on the rare occasions when friends request dressy attire (of any kind) for an event. Everything is SO hyper-casual these days and friends often seem uncomfortable with how "dressed up" I am even in my MOST casual outfit. So, please let me come to the next Victorian funeral themed party you attend, please? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was getting dressed I knew I would get the Miss Victorian Kitty deal of approval! So, thank you very much!

      I do agree about requesting fancy attire as it makes me happy as well! Next time there is a funeral themed party you and Mr. Kitty are definitely invited ;)

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^