Sponsor + Ad Info

Sunday, October 21, 2012

An Old Goth In A Nu-Goth Sweater


I posed this question to my Facebook friends, "If you're an old goth who wears a nu-goth top, does that make you a born again goth?" Of course I say these things in jest as I have a really good sense of humor about my tastes, lifestyle and fashion. I don't normally like to feed into the 'what is this and what is that' monster machine, but I since my most recent purchase made me giggle about the nu-goth trend and how upset people get over it.

Photobucket
Cross Sweater, Forever 21. I love the inside details

The question is, how could I not love this sweater, it's covered in crosses! My little gothy heart went a flutter when I saw this on Forever 21's web site and the price was right at $25. I'm impressed with the quality!

Now my opinion on the nu-goth trend is this, if I can walk into a store or shop online to find things that are my taste and style, how could I not enjoy it? Though this trend is based on just fashion and not focused on the other aspects of goth including the music and culture, that would have to be another discussion for a different blog (there are plenty of people bitching all over the internet). -Shrugs- I bought this sweater because it has giant crosses all over it, which is in my tastes and I like black and white. I also really love crosses, a lot. Hehe!

Thanks for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla




11 comments:

  1. Ooh I love the inverted coloured on the inside, I like your tights are they cobweb pattern?

    I must admit I enjoy walking into high street shops and buying Goth appropriate things, shoes have being a pain for me because my feet are so awkward. I can't buy them online so I'm really grateful to get studded flats from Topshop.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My leggings are a geometric-sorta like cracked glass.
      I agree, it's great to go into stores and actually want to purchase things in person rather than ordering everything online :)

      Delete
  2. Nice sweater! The inverted crosses are a lovely detail.

    I don't mind nu-goth fashion at all. I pick the items i like and wear them in my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about nu-goth, I just make it my own ;)

      Delete
  3. I like that sweater! Some time ago I was going to buy its shorter version :D
    I totally agree with you about nu-goth, it allows me to buy goth stuff nearly everywhere. I don't think I would wear nu-goth on my weekends, but it's perfectly ok for everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a shorter version would be cute too! I am debating buying matching leggings, then I'd be super happy and super ridiculous. Hahahahaha!

      Delete
  4. Personally, I'm not fond of the nu-goth movement -- at least, not the way that most people who are dressing it coordinate it. A lot of it looks really tacky, imo...

    But I have to admit -- finding clothing and accessories that matches my aesthetic IS nice... And that sweater is definitely one of the nicer "nu-goth" pieces I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do agree with some people looking tacky and some things are just silly looking....but I think of that with every trend. ;)

      Delete
  5. I think this is an interesting conversation. I'm not goth, but I have seen that once I was over 30, many of the trends I adopted in high school or college and still prefer have come back en vogue and it's crazy to see women who could be my children wearing almost the same exact ensemble I wore 20 years ago. In one way, I find it horrific to see folks wear trends wrong or see them made for the masses and available in Forever 21, but in other ways like you mentioned, I love the availability of clothing and accessories I like. I just can't get down with Target carrying fake Doc Martens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you, I see girls wearing stuff we wore in the 80s/90s that I would NEVER want to see again. And they are wearing it ironically when (in my opinion) wearing a giant cat sweater is not cute or flattering. Fashion goes in cycles and in this cycle we've already 'be there and done that'---it personally makes me feel a little old sometimes. HAHAHAHA!

      Delete
  6. I agree with you, I like when goth-y clothes appear in mainstream and trendy stores as they are easily accessible and I like them so whatever. A lot of ladies get their panties in a knot over it, but I just go shopping more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^