Sponsor + Ad Info

Monday, March 14, 2016

Wearing All Black Is Not Boring.


I read a lot of articles about fashion and style as it's relevant to my interests and it's part of my job as a stylist, but the one thing that drives me bonkers is RULES. The assumptions that fashion rules give me, is that we need to be ruled by what is 'right' by the fashion gods. We must bend to their every whim and cower by their knowledge and expertise. Pppppffffffttttt.


Some of the reoccurring subjects I do see is that; wearing all black is boring,  wearing all black is harsh, wearing all black is depressing, wearing all black automatically makes you goth. A big NOPE. There are plenty of people from the beauty industry to the arts community and beyond who enjoy wearing all black, it's not some sort of special club. 


Wearing black makes me happy. It makes me feel beautiful and elegant, edgy and playful. It's all in the way I style my all black outfits that gives it personality and substance. Adding patterns, texture, shine and accessories are some style suggestions that I will often agree with, but how I choose to wear them will always be my choice. That is what I believe is a big difference between following trends and doing your own thing: personal style. In the same respect, I don't need to follow the rules of whatever 'fashion tribe' I may relate too.




Even as a professional women of 35, I will always have the angst-ridden 16 year old me in the back of my mind. I will always say, "Wear that makes you happy and screw everyone else". I think if I had a dollar for every time I said that at work I would be rolling in John Fluevog boots. 

I love fashion, but it will never rule me enough to stop dressing how I love....
and I hope it never rules you neither.

Thank you for reading, until next time!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

**I'm wearing cotton shirt dress (eShakti), cardigan (Le Bomb Shop), concho belt (Target), stockings (old, Lip Service), cowboy boots (ZigiNY), Lydia brooch (Jubly-Umph), tombstone necklace (borrowed from Derek) and spiked bracelets (???)

25 comments:

  1. Didn’t Coco Chanel say, “Fashion fades, only style remains the same.” But then, she also supposedly said, “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and remove one accessory” and that’s just crazy talk!

    You look lovely as always :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meagan Kyla says, "Put one more thing on. ACCESSORIZE YOUR HEART OUT!" LOL!!!!! Thank you dear <3

      Delete
  2. In my previous college I had a female professor in her 60s (I guess), who had a waist-length (or maybe longer) hair dyed black, always worn in a tall ponytail that was falling down on her shoulders like a capelet. She always wore nearly all-black flowy garments, often accompanied by a cameo necklace - and never ever removed her cat-eye sunglasses, even inside building. She also had this kind of slightly dreamy personality which her clothing style seemed to match. I believe staying true to yourself is one of the most important things in life. So if one has a rebellious teen version of oneself at the back of their head - go with the flow. And those fashion advices going 'if you wear only black you'll look like a goth' make me laugh. Like it's a bad thing XD Like it's a bad thing people will avoid black clothes, it will just leave more of them for us goths, ha!

    Absolutely, absolutely loving your stockings <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! More for us!
      Thank you for sharing, your professor sounds like a woman who knows herself and don't give a f*ck what anyone thinks! Yesss!

      Delete
  3. Agreed! Though everyone wears all black at the office. And on the subway. The typical NYC black, lol. And your hair is awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! NYC never disappoints ;)

      Thank you, my hair got long all of the sudden?!?!?!?

      Delete
  4. I totally agree! I find black truly alluring and chic! <3 I love your outfit!

    http://looktheotherway.co

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely agreed - I find I get bored of colour really quickly - the turnover rate of non-black items in my wardrobe is very high. Black is also a great way to have fun with texture and fabric and fit without being distracted by colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is, I like color....just not on me. ;)

      Delete
  6. Black is versatile. An all black outfit can be classy, artsy, edgy, elegant... but not boring. Rules schmules!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wearing all black is NEVER boring, in my opinion. An all black outfit is the perfect versatile base to which you can add different shoes/accessories/etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear all black almost every day! :) The people who say all black is boring should come to my workplace and watch all the different, creative outfits me and my team come up with. :D
    Love your stockings by the way!
    XOXO, Madam Noire

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Standing ovation* Yes, yes and yes again! It's antiquated - and not in the good kind of way that I so deeply adore - to push so-called fashion rules on any one. One of the best things about living in the 21st century is having the ability to dress as we please.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading this post! I couldn't agree with you more! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^