Sponsor + Ad Info

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Just Life Stuff

Derek and I cutting a rug this past Sunday at The Next Generation Swing Dance

Life. Life has been full of worrying, planning and bad news. Trying to keep my sanity and to keep our chins up. So, in no particular order, here are some things that have been going on in my world. Yes, I don't just worry about fashion. Hahaha!!!

-My Father under went a second surgery for the bladder cancer. The cancer cells are still present, so he is going to start a regime of chemo therapy that will be injected into bladder in hopes it will finally get rid of all the nasty cancer cells. My parents are positive and happy with the team of doctors that are taking care of my Father. As a side note-my Father is 78 years old. (13 year age difference between my parents, he got married later in life and there is almost a 10 year gap between my older brother and I, hence the age of my Father)

-We came to a very upsetting realization regarding the house issues we have and the way we were asking for help. In short, we applied for a housing grant to get our sewer, roof and broiler fixed and after jumping through hoops, sleepless nights and frustration, we are deciding to opt out. They are asking for too much personal financial information and we are feeling like we're being punished since Derek is a self employed tattoo artist. They are asking for other personal information that we are not comfortable with as these specific things weren't needed we got our mortgage! I understand that a grant to essentially a 'forgiven loan', but we are going to look at other options. Besides, the sewer issue can't wait a year for grant monies. At least we tried....

-We have been keeping a low profile. We have been buckling down, spending less and choosing to stay in rather than go out to every event we had planned to attend. We're not starving ourselves nor stopped going out all together, but rather opting to get home projects accomplished rather than roaming antique and flea markets on the weekends. It's amazing how much money you can save by not indulging in little unnecessary purchases.

-We're going to start taking dance lessons. After all these years, we're going to start lessons thanks to my bosses (Christmas) gifting Derek and I lessons with our friend Chuck Chazz who runs The Next Generation Swing Dance. We've been going to the dances off and on for several years, but it will be awesome to hone in our skills and cut even more of a rug. We love to dance!

-Lightening the load. I helped Derek go through his hoards of clothing. Bins and bins of clothes!!! I was pretty proud of him for getting organized and we had fun as he gave me a fashion show! It's awesome that we both love fashion, but it can get overwhelming when one person is more organized than the other (*cough me cough*). I even weeded through my items and put some things in the donation pile. Unfortunately I can't get all my Spring/Summer items out of bins as it's still too chilly. The great closet rotation is paused for now.

So yeah, that's life. The gal behind the blog is just plain tired, but relieved that we are taking a hold of whatever life throws at us. 

What's happening in your world?

Thank you for reading, until next time!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla


23 comments:

  1. That photo of you and Derek dancing is just too sweet. I also hear you on buckling down. I had some repairs to do on my car and had some unforseen expenses this winter so we have been careful as well. I have been scanning the weekly circulars religiously over the past couple of weeks. I stocked up on items that went on sale. For a fraction of the cost, I have so many groceries in my house! The spare freezer we have is full! I am sorry to read about your housing troubles and about your dad. Chin up and sending some good vibes your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First and foremost, sending you lots and lots of love, support, and peace ... and your Dad healing energy and strength.

    UGH! House woes are the worst! Just an idea, was your home built before 1950 and considered historic? If so, talk to the Historic Society. They might be able to direct you to a historic grant that will be able to help you out.

    Lightening the load seems to be the theme of this Spring. So many of us are doing so!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our house is 1887 and we don't live in a historic area in Buffalo, just a 'up and coming' area. Our neighborhood is a little rough, just like us ;) Hahahaha!

      Thank you for all the positive energy, I really appreciate it <3 Good luck with your Spring unloading/organizing/rediscovering, it's so refreshing!

      Delete
  3. <3 So sorry to hear the news with your father. I hope he will get better soon with the chemo. And also so sorry to hear about the news on your house! I hope you will be able to find a way to make the repairs that are needed. I think that's a wonderful idea about taking the swing lessons! That was so sweet of your bosses to gift you that for Christmas. It sounds like a great time to get started with it! And that sounds like a great plan also getting projects done around the house. I know for me when money's tight it really helps to lay low and stay in for a bit. I hope everything starts to look up again for you soon. Keep you head up Meagan! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear, I really appreciate it! We'll be hanging out in the Hut (aka our garage) and enjoying our backyard oasis more this summer ;)

      Delete
  4. I hope everything goes well with your dad!

    Hope the house stuff gets fixed too!

    Swing dancing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your father! Sometimes it seems that life throws all shit at us at once, and everything can be very tough. I'm sure everything will turn out fine in the end though. :) To quote one of my favorite movies; "It can't rain all the time."
    Love,
    Madam Noire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote! Thank you dear, I appreciate your kind words <3

      Delete
  6. It's really rude when people press you for unnecessary information based on your profession. Your husband's a tattoo artist. What of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I agree, I just don't understand why they needed all this extra information from both of us. It was weird and unexpected!

      Delete
  7. Cancer sucks. :( I'm glad your father has a good team of doctors. I hope all goes well with his chemo.

    Sounds like you were put through the ringer about the grant. Banks and lenders are so tough on self-employed people!

    Hang in there... and enjoy those dance lessons. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bane. Yeah, I understand some of the reasons for the information, but when we got a 3rd letter requesting more information without a formal one on one meeting, I was out. Derek agreed and we'll handle all the house expenses a different route. We're tough cookies and make a good team. :)

      Delete
  8. {{{So many hugs}}} With all my heart I'm sorry that your father is dealing with such aggressive cancer and that you've had such a substantial load of problems on your plate lately, Meagan.

    I truly hope that as spring continues, your days - like the sun's light - will grow brighter and more beautiful.

    Please know that if you ever need someone to talk to about anything at all in the whole wide world, I'm here for you.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, you are the sweetest and kindest person! I want to reach through the screen and give you a big hug! Your words are very comforting and I thank you from the bottom of my heart <3

      Delete
  9. Lots of love for you guys <3
    Sorry to hear you are facing such hardships, but I hope to my very heart that everything will turn out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your father's treatment goes well! It's good that he's happy with his care, though, and you're all dealing well with it. Best wishes for that <3

    It's really great you're starting swing dance, as I do it too and love meeting other dancers on the web! Is it Lindy hop you're doing? I'd love to visit the American scenes, but unfortunately like you I'm buckling down on money for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were learning the Jitterbug, but we do East Coast Swing....really, really basic. Hehehe!!! Thank you for your kind words <3

      Delete
  11. Sorry about your dad. Best wishes. Good for you for doing swing dancing. That seems like a lot of fun. A number of my friends are doing it and are really enjoying it. (Not me. Never. I'm too stuffy for dancing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear, I appreciate it. Too stuffy?! You!? Come on ;)

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^