Sponsor + Ad Info

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Mid Century Macabre : I Love Home Decor

Our Adrian Pearsall chair was purchased by Derek for $5 (about 12 years ago), 
will be reupholstered soon.

I snapped a few photos to load and share about living room decor and design over the Retro Renovation blog. I absolutely love how informative and resourceful the blog has been to me and many of their readers. I love mid century design, but I also love the macabre, thus our home decor style has always been blended. So, I thought I would share my snaps with you all and show what we've been up to inside the house. 


The bar stools are from Derek's Nana. She sold her home in New Jersey that she built with her husband in 1954 and moved down to Virginia to be closer to Derek's parents. We are honored to have them in the house as shortly after their basement bar was built (in the 70s) Derek's Grandfather was hit and killed by a drunk driver at 45 years young.


Gotta love when you find coffee table for $9 while thrifting. To think, I almost passed it up until I picked it up and realized that it is solid piece of furniture! 


My gawdy lamps fit into the Mid Century Regency look I had in mind. We've have the couch for years, bought second hand and it's a solid piece. I am dreaming of a new couch, but am grateful this old soldier has been with us for years.


Very new-to-us piece that I picked up at a consignment shop for a song. We need more bar storage and this bamboo shelving unit was perfect. I'm really glad I waited other than settling, as this adds some 'light' into the bar area. Still hard to believe the bar area of the living room was Pepto (ab)ismal pink and an awkward room off the kitchen. Knocking down the walls was the best idea ever! 

barkcloth curtain panels were made by me

Our dining room got a new carpet! I was trying to figure out how to tie the room together and taking inspiration from the colors of the barkcloth curtains, I choose a shag green carpet. Now our black dining set 'pops' and it's the perfect compliment to the colors in the plamp (plant lamp) and all the black velvet paintings that are hung on the main wall (not pictured). 

Derek's face, hahaha!!!!!

Here's an example of our 'wall-o-velvet' in the dining room. The latest addition has been a cute blue-eyed puppy with a basket of flowers and a few others hanging about the room. What can I say, we love kitsch!

Even if you don't like our decorating style, it's just an example of how you can put together a whole house while being thrifty and unique. I love home decor and I love to see how others design their space. I believe it's an extension of your personality and that you should surround yourself with things (and people) that you love. 

Thank you for reading, until next time!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

14 comments:

  1. Your house is so very you - quirky yet so stylish and put together with heart. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! That is such a rad compliment and I am smiling from ear to ear :)

      Delete
  2. You have a very gorgeous home! I love your flair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your house decor! You and Derek have done an amazing job putting it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fabulous! Thanks for the tour. :D I love to see a house decorated with personality instead of trends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Decor goals! But also, that velvet dress is to die. Wherever did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I got the dress from hottopic.com :)

      Delete
  6. your decor is great! I know what things I like but I find decor much harder to put together than outfits!

    Love your dress, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Decorating is something that is fun, but takes some time to get it all together ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh me, too, sooooo much! In fact, little known fact, when I decided back in 2009 that I wanted a new blog, one of the top categories that I gave serious thought to was a decor blog. Ultimately I'm super glad I went with vintage instead, but I'm sure that would have been fun, too, and I have certainly woven decor and decorating related posts into the vintage mix sometimes over the years.

    Big hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very neat! I think adding hints of home decor here and there is very relevant to vintage fashions/lifestyle :)

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^