Sponsor + Ad Info

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Shopping, Money and Blah Blah


I was inspired to write a blog about spending, shopping, etc., since I realized how much my spending has gone down as we've been saving for home projects. Side tangent-our sewer is fixed <insert happy dance>. I've been especially saving in the makeup and beauty care items department, as I've been making a conscious effect to use what I have and only re-purchase items that have run out. It's been amazing how many samples I've used up and makeup items (like face powders) that I had and they needed to be finish up. I don't collect makeup, but I do love hair styling products and had a drawer full in my vanity that needed to be used and/or passed on to someone else. I guess my 'wear everything' clothing campaign has also trickled over into a 'use everything' motto. Hehe!

(Here is a video blog from 2013 that I'm chatting a bit about my financial past)

A few subjects I get asked a lot about is advice about shopping and spending. Shopping on all levels; home decor, groceries, clothing/shoes, and home services (cable TV, cell phones, etc.). But before I go any further I have to preface this with a few facts about Derek and myself and our household; we are not in massive debt due to schooling, medical bills, etc., we are a one car couple, we have duel incomes, own our own home in a somewhat economically depressed city and both of us are relatively healthy. Why the preface? Well, there is a variety of reasons of what causes people to spend and are due to things beyond their control and I want to be sympathetic to those reasons. I remember surviving on next-to-no money while still working full time. I get it, I really do.

I also have been asked to write a comprehensive list of where I shop for clothing (including eBay sellers), but I'm still debating on that blog subject.

Tips and Advice From My Experience:

+Groceries: Can be a #1 budget buster for some people, but it doesn't have to be. Now mind you there are thousands of online advice on this subject, but I will give you this one; Make a shopping list, make a weekly menu and cook at home. I learned to cook simply by being forced to and having a small income meant; using coupons, paying attention to sales, cooking with seasonal produce and the biggest money saver---shopping at Aldi. Yep, I still do all these things and it helps to control our diets too. Oh, and take advantage of farmer's markets or local farm's in general!

+Eliminating Extras: Cable TV? Gone and replaced with Netflix and Hulu. Satellite radio that came with the car? Gone and replaced with loads of burned CD's. Going out for a drink? Whittle down to 'once in a while' and replaced with making cocktails at home. Major Network Cell Phones? Gone and replaced with no contract phones. 

+Second Hand: 99% of my furnishings in my home are second hand. Even if you don't love mid century modern mixed with kitsch and the macabre like I do, you can still score some things that suit your aesthetic from thrift shops, charity shops flea markets, garage sales (or boot sales if you're in the UK...I love that name) or Craigslist/newspaper 'for sale' sections. It's a amazing how a little money, some spray paint and elbow grease can really turn other people castaway's into beautiful decor. You know how I thrift for clothing, so I don't need to go into that way of saving. *Wink*

+Make Lists: This one may seem odd, but I pretty much make a list for everything. I use the old school way of using pen and paper as I am not too good with using my phone to track of everything. (Hello, I am Meagan and my smart phone makes me feel stupid) I have magnetic note pads on the fridge, as we tried the dry eraser system and things got forgotten about......and the paper always gets recycled, always.


I usually have three lists going. To-do house list is a great way to help with the 'I don't know what to do' days, so we look at the list and things magically get done. Wooo! The household needs list is for things that we don't purchase at the grocery store, like laundry detergent, shave cream, etc., and a grocery shopping list for when we run out of something. Always write it on the list!!!!! *Looks at Derek*

+Being Happy With What You Have: I have to remind myself of this on a weekly basis as I window shop, read blogs and work in a retail environment. I am tempted all the time to blow my paycheck on an impulse buy or treat myself to something, because I'm feeling down or had a bad day, or I got an email with a 25% off sale. Self control is a bitch. I look all around me and think, "This is more than enough." Don't get me wrong, I am not a cheap ass and I don't expect you to be. I just worked so hard to get myself out of debt that if I don't remind myself of what I have, I could spiral right down that path again! Annnnnnnd, I most certainly don't want to encourage any of you to go down that path either!

Alright, I'm going to stop right here before it turns into a novel, phew! How do you like to save and do you have any budget and/or spending tips you'd like to share? By the way, when did I become so responsible?!?!?!? ARGH!

Thank you for reading, until next time!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla

25 comments:

  1. Very wise advices :) Cause loving music so much and want our subgenre to live long with glory, the only thing we really spend is album´s, band merchandise, gigs and festivals. I love thrifting so most of clothes and furniture is 2nd hand. We changed our car to brand new one to save money and nature in long term. I grow some spice herbs myself and would love to learn and have space to grow more food myself, like carrot´s, potatos ecetera. We have a smart tv so most of stuff can be watched via internet but I have bought one channel, HBO Nordic to watch Viking´s. Hmm..using our customer-ownership group of grocery store, where we are collecting "bonus". Also electricity and insurance companies is good to compare and choose the one with best terms. I do not dye my hair so do not need hair dresser often. So here´s my tips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Great advice and way to live. Thank you for sharing! <3

      Delete
  2. It has now become a habit. Every week, I check the circulars and buy the items I like that are on sale. I stock up on them. I have a freezer in my basement full of meat. I have a good supply on laundry detergent and toilet paper LOL I swear, if there was a zombie apocalypse, I have so much shit stocked up, I would be fine! This has helped me with my monthly budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I can't get a freezer down our basement stairs, but I'm thinking of a smaller fridge would help my budget and meal planning!

      Delete
  3. Even though I'm not in need, I like to thrift shop and go to boot sales.
    I only buy one expensive item once in maybe 3 months. It's the pleasure of rummaging through clothes and find stuff you'd probably never find anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with saving yourself some $$ and having a unique wardrobe to boot ;)

      Delete
  4. It's good to be happy with what you have, and I have to admit, the majority of my clothes are second-hand from thrifting or eBay. I much prefer vintage furniture, and if something's looking drab, I just upcycle. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upcycling is the best! I little elbow grease and imagination makes for unique home decor :)

      Delete
  5. Sound, excellent advice. Like so many, we live on a strict budget too and have long cut out most extras, including cable (neither of us felt we watched near enough TV to justify the cost). I enjoy the challenge (and rewards) of being smart with our spending and try to better my money management skills further with each passing year. The payoff can be so sweet and rewarding, especially if it means we have enough put aside to take a wee trip. :)

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! We love to travel and it's a nice incentive to save. Traveling=making memories which are priceless <3

      Delete
  6. Some excellent advice. My partner and me are about to exchange contracts on our new house so want keep costs down where possible.

    You have heighted some great points. As a confessed charity shop queen I think most clothes are source from charity shops or I owned for yonkers.

    I used to love going to car boots sales , they're amazing but the only down side is I used to go home with crapfulls of stuff and end donating to charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, going home with tons of crap isn't good either. My husband and I have curved our spending and are a lot more aware of what we bring into the house.

      Delete
  7. We just started a dry erase board system here LOLOL We'll see how it works ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice. I cut junk food and casual snacking out completely. That surprisingly adds up. It's expensive AF in NYC (plus it doesn't help I've got grad school student loan payments) so I've got a strict budget. I have a spreadsheet with all my expenses (rent, bills, etc) then divide whatever's left over by 30 days. That's my daily budget for food and whatever. I know it's bad, but the first thing I cut is my food budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing system. I definitely should give a spreadsheet a try, it must really help to see it all laid out in front of you.

      Delete
  9. I'm just popping by and saying hello because, while searching for some fresh style inspiration while procrastinating, I came across Still Weird Zine's "10 Fabulous Fashion Bloggers Who are Keeping It Weird" article - and, um, you appear to be me 20 years ago with different hair, and tattoos. It's kind of spooky. So, hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Waves* Hello!!!!! Hope I didn't spook you out too much, hehehe! ;)

      Delete
  10. Excellent advice! Extras/entertainment are a very good place to trim expenses. I have a prepaid, no-contract mobile phone. I go to the library instead of the bookstore. I don't have cable TV; I have Netflix. I also do Amazon Prime, which offers three freebies: movies/TV, e-books, and a surprisingly good selection of music.

    One tip I would give: When you are tempted by a sale, remind yourself that you will not be saving money, you will be spending money. Because despite a store's "save big" claims, the reality is that buying always means spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, YES!! I completely am behind trying to resist the sale. I have been guilty of using coupons and making rash decisions only to realize it's not saving money as it was something I really did not need. There are very few things we need in life...

      Delete
  11. Cutting back on spending is an exercise in will! I will be moving up to West Virginia in a little over a month to start a position with AmeriCorps. Since it's a service position, I get a small living stipend, so I will have to budget everything. Luckily, though, I am eligible for SNAP benefits. I grew up in a home where finances were not always stable. We always ate cheaply and bought the necessities. I'm a vegetarian now, so my diet consists mostly of produce, which limits my spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your move, job and budget! YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)

      Delete
  12. I agree with the cable thing. I had been kind of just mindlessly paying the cable bill but one day I looked at it and was like WTF???? This is a waste of money!! My husband and I agreed to cancel it and put the money towards more useful pursuits. This has also been good in that when I am bored and feel like just turning on the TV, I now have to find something more useful to do! Also, good call on the cooking at home/making a menu/grocery lists thing. Years ago, I used to go to the grocery store and just buy a bunch of food and lots of it got wasted. You HAVE to buy food for SPECIFIC meals that you have planned! Otherwise, you will waste food and $$$$!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food waste makes me so upset with myself, so meal planning is the way to go!!!! That is awesome that no cable has made you more motivated!!! I have to admit I've been vegging out after work and watching Mad Men when I should be sewing or doing house work ;)

      Delete
  13. I love this post and love reading your tips on savings. We are very similiar. I also have a no contract phone (love it!) no cable replaced by netflix, and I always make a list before going to the grocery store. I've been getting better at self control when it comes to ignoring emails when sales happens and instead will save my money for the things I really have my heart set on. All great advice Meagan! It is a constant struggle to try and be good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^