Sponsor + Ad Info

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Gabbing About 1920s Fashion and Hanging with the Fabulous Jodee



These photos were from last month's swing dance and I realized that it's been a month, because the July's swing dance is tomorrow! Time is flying, argh!!! Derek and I will not be attending this month since we'll be at the Renn Faire, but I'm already planning out my outfit since it's a Great Gatsby theme. I really had to brainstorm an outfit since most 1920s silhouette's look ghastly on me and as much as I like fringe and the flapper look, there is much more to that era of dress. Much more....

Franny (The Curious Professor Z) will agree with me that watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is a wonderful source of 1920s inspiration and oh-so-drool worthy. I can't get enough of the costuming on the TV series and would love a dress like Phryne Fisher for the dance, but in reality I just can't justify spending a lot of money on one evening.

Stunning!

So I've opted to dig into my closet and (as Tim Gunn would say), "make it work!" Luckily some of my drapey and lacey pieces will do the trick and by adding some long layered necklaces, it will hint at the 20s. I truly believe when you're going to a themed event, you don't have to look like you are wearing a costume nor spend a lot of money. *Wink*

Some of my inspiration:


My dress is a similar silhouette to the gal's (all the way to left) dress. 



I love the turban, layered necklaces and the floral details on the shoulder. If I don't wear my kimono over the dress, I may make a floral shoulder piece to wear.


The gal on the left's dress is amazing and the silhouette works for me, the other two are darling, but the shape is wrong for me.


Siouxsie Sioux's amazing long beaded overdress is a perfect pairing of 1980s goth and 1920s glamour. You see Siouxsie wearing a lot of beautiful vintage pieces throughout her career.

Before I get too excited for the dance, I will stop here. Thank you for letting me brainstorm!

Do you take fashion inspiration for the 1920s?

Thank you for reading, until next time!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla 


8 comments:

  1. I love 20s style, although I don't have the ideal body type. I love the handkerchief hem dresses, they're also great for faery outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, so true. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries -- the hats, clothing, jewelry ... Jake -- is so delicious. ;)

    Despite a short stint with 40s and 50s clothing, I've always been drawn to 20s fashion. Looking back at photos makes this perfectly clear, so I stopped trying to "fight it" ... or was I ever fighting it? HA! Hell, I've always preferred my hair in a bob like I have now.

    Anyway, you already have that beautiful kimono that you featured last week. I think it was last week. The skully one. Add a tiered skirt and a tunic blouse -- no belts -- and voila! Long beads or pearls and something on your head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And psstt, thanks for the shout out. :D I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome inspiration images and sources. How amazing is the tiered dress that the gal on in the photo of the three ladies is wearing? I love of the little flounces almost look like bunting.

    It's really exciting that you're putting together a 20s look. For all my many years of sporting vintage, it's not really a decade I've dabbled in (save for a little bit of jewelry), as most styles from that decade don't work well on my figure. I greatly admire 1920s fashion however and appreciate what an immensely transformative time it was in the style world. Plus, all that amazing bead work to be had on bags, dresses, shawls, shoes, you name it!

    Good luck with putting your ensemble together. I'm sure it's going to be fabulous!

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 1920's fashion! I would love to surround myself with 1920's styles and wear them forever. Unfortunately like you I don't have the money for such things as 1020's style clothing does tend to be so pricey. I can't wait to see what you pick out though! I love this idea of make it work! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^