Sponsor + Ad Info

Friday, November 14, 2014

Drop Waist


I pulled out this vintage wool dress I got from my friend Julie Ann, put it on and felt really cute. I love the cut, the satin bow at the shoulder and the neckline. I was hesitant about the drop waist, but it looked good in the mirror..or so I thought. 


After reviewing the photos, I was not happy with how the dress made my pear shaped body look. I know, I know, woman's bodies aren't fruit, but it's a way to describe my, 'small on top and larger on the botttom', body type. The dropped waist emphasis's my hips and belly area, which are two places I try to minimize as much as possible. Ugh! I got upset and changed my whole outfit 15 minutes before leaving for work. I was going to delete the photos and not share them....


I changed my mind and wanted to share. Why? Because I'm not perfect. I don't have a "perfect" body, but it's mine and that's all I know! I embraced trying a new style and though it's not the most flattering thing I've worn,  it made me happy. I should have just gone with the way it made me feel=cute and happy. The worst thing was that I let looking at a few photos effect me, made me feel that my body was ugly or lumpy or I just focused on one area.

Blah, I fell into the microscope of self judgement and forgot to see; how cute the outfit looked as a whole, how I liked my hair, my brows, or I'm smiling because Derek and I were chatting in the morning. Fashion is supposed to be a fun expression of yourself, not something to beat yourself up with or for it to bring you down. Hell, we also don't stand around all day looking like we're posed for pictures! Unless, that's your job...well then.

Our bodies are our temples and we should decorate it everyday for celebration to make ourselves happy without regret and judgement. -My new mantra.

Thank you for reading!
XOXO-Meagan Kyla


23 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't delete those photos, I think your body looks incredible in that dress. Look at your tiny waist and the curve of your hip. We've all got so accustomed to coat hanger sized models in magazines rather than real women that we've become a bit afraid of seeing a shape. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I think I'm so critical at times as I used to be 30 pounds lighter. I'm not wishing that I was "thinner" or saying I'm a large person, it's just embracing my body and celebrating it rather than focusing on the negative.

      Delete
  2. Nope, I don't agree with you here! You look fantastic. The dress is lovely!. Was it a bad day for you? I love how you combined it with the striped top. I think it fit's you. The hair is also great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad day at all, I think I was just being too critical of myself in the photos. Thank you for your kind words. :)

      Delete
  3. The first thing I thought when I saw these pictures was how cute you looked! You look fun and sassy and like someone with whom I could make a bit of mischief. Boo on the self-judgement but I'm glad you posted about it!

    I hope you don that outfit another day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We can make mischief for sure! ;) I don't think I'm going to give up the dress, we'll give it another go!

      Delete
  4. I don't think you look bad at all, in fact you look quite cute in that outfit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! I was thinking just last night about writing something about bodies given all the stuff that has been in the media recently! I think I will definitely have to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you look lovely, but of course it's important to feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, comfortable in your own skin is the most important ;)

      Delete
  7. Funny, because I looked at the first picture and thought, "cute!" Maybe if you added a belt at your waist you would feel more comfortable in the drop-waist style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that you suggest that as I had exactly the same thought! I do love my belts! Hahaha!

      Delete
  8. I used to be all about the drop waist, but everything's so high-waisted these days that seeing a dropped waist is strange to see. The dress itself looks lovely, and you look very sophistimicated/classic/smart in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! That is very true as I tend to wear high waist and/or mid waistlines. Thank you for your kind words, I am flattered :)

      Delete
  9. Glad you posted. All us girls fight that inner critical voice and we need to learn to embrace ourselves the way you did in this post more often. We gotta love ourselves before we can really love anybody else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress and think it makes you look taller and slender and sleek. Of course, I was born in 61 and grew up with Julie Newmar's Catwoman as one of my fashion inspirations - check out pictures of her and notice how she wears her belt around her hips. This is definitely a slinky catwoman dress! Oh, and the spider pin is adorable on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't see "pear" in this dress- I see "belt isn't wide enough." Throw a thick belt over the drop waist, see if that doesn't change your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this dress on you! Drop waist dresses always make me feel cute! I think you look adorable in this dress. I don't notice any of the pear shaped problems you mention at all. All I notice is more of an hour glassy figure and that it looks adorable on you! I love the striped undershirt you paired with it and the spider brooch and the hair bow that coordinates so cutely with the bows on the dress. I'm glad you didn't delete the pictures. I hope you will give this outfit another shot! It truly is super cute on you!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. The outfit is absolutely adorable! The spider brooch is amazing. I adore spider jewelry. I have quite a bit of it myself but I keep it stashed away. I'm trying to wait until my babies are a little older to prevent anything from getting broken my little grippy hands.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it emphasizes your curves in that area, which to me looks good. I suppose it is all in the eye of the beholder! I enjoy clothing that emphasizes a curvy shape but perhaps your preference is to focus attention on other areas. I think we are our own worst critics; I have areas of my body that I hide religiously with my clothing but other people probably wouldn't think it was that big of a deal if I didn't. I know so many people who get upset about "problem" areas of their body and usually these are things that I wouldn't have noticed and don't see as a big deal. For this reason, I try to feel comfortable about my body because I am probably the only one who is noticing all the little flaws! I agree with your mantra, we should dress in a way that makes us happy and not worry about every little thing that might not be "perfect".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! I am so glad you decided to post this. I think you look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^