Sponsor + Ad Info

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

R.I.P Don Featherstone


Well, I'm pretty sure you may have not heard of Don Featherstone, but I'm pretty sure you've seen pink plastic lawn flamingos. Those kitsch-tastic birds who have become the ultimate token of tackiness. Heck, John Waters even named a movie after them, Pink FlamingosDon Featherstone was the creator of the pink plastic flamingo shaped lawn ornaments and he recently passed away at age 79 after battling a lengthy disease.

Our front garden. Pardon the weeds.

I don't remember how my pink flamingo fascination started, perhaps it's due my love of airstream trailors and everything that involves tackiness and kitsch. Like anything that starts off as a joke amongst friends, it has turned into full blown pink flamingo mania! 

Make up case: gift from Judy and Mike
DeTiki carved purse: Derek drunkenly bought (from a past Ohana)
Flamingo blanket: gift from Terri
Charcoal Designs brooch: gift to myself
Hair clips: gift from Miss Natalie from Goody Two Shoes 

So, thank you Don for making this world that much more delightful with your pink plastic creations. I hope you rest in peace.

XOXO-Meagan Kyla

8 comments:

  1. That's a shame, I also have a strange fascination with them, I was once in a band called Pink Flamingo Band

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw an article about his passing on my FB newsfeed and I thought of you! I am not surprised to see this post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. I hope they put a flamingo on his final resting place. Maybe two. Rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never knew there was a known creatoron one of our Aussie renovation shows some people went wild with a flamingo splashback, lawn flamingos, a giant flamingo painting and a flamingo pink front door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One summer my father and I bought a pair of pink flamingos and would go to our friends' and family's houses when they weren't home and put the flamingos on their lawn. Maybe we should start again as a memorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in the late 70s my cousin gained a bit of newspaper exposure as the Sydney Gnome Napper. I remember apart from gnomes he also had concrete flamingos.
    I wont go into what he did with all of them but when he stopped he had over 400 Gnomes etc. He was still at high school. He was never caught. A criminal genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always had flamingos in our yard back in Florida :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love flamingos! Sorry to hear that he's gone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^