Sponsor + Ad Info

Saturday, January 28, 2012

What's Up With the Name Coffin Kitsch?

Logo by (c) Melanie Beitel 

So, what is up with the name Coffin Kitsch? Well, when I started making pillbox hats, fascinators, hair bows, etc. I was having a hard time thinking of a name to call my humble little creations. I wanted something that played into the two sides of my personality and style, so I put 'coffin' for my love of the spooky ooky and creepy along with 'kitsch' as I am a cheese ball who adores tacky things of the past and present eras, thus Coffin Kitsch was born. I like infusing vintage styling with a dark twist, adding bats to fascinators, attaching spiders to little hair clips, and using skeleton hands as accents. My designs aren't cutting edge, but I like to put my own spin on hair accessories and I even make everything from scratch! All my pillbox hat frames and fascinators are made from sturdy millinery buckram from my own patterns, then covered with fabrics and then added details. It's a lot of work, but when I feel inspired and it comes out just right, it's all worth it! I love seeing gals wearing Coffin Kitsch designs!
Model: Vanity Kills
Photography : Zach Rose
Hat : Coffin Kitsch


I've been D.I.Y-ing a lot of my own clothing as of late, which is something I used to do in the past, but I'm feeling inspired to sorta 'upcycle' my own closet. I have been finding that I am wearing a lot more of my old clothing because I have sewed on a patch or revamped the style, my pocket book has been very happy. *Wink* I've also been more seriously thrifting and picking up some nice jackets and started offering my hand crafted D.I.Y patches in my etsy shop. You know, it keeps me busy and off the streets.




The patches aren't perfect, but that is sort of the point, I wanted them to look D.I.Y and have a hand made look to them. Well, they are literally hand made with the help of my machine and my crafting fingers. The jackets are laundered before hand, so it gives me a nice crisp palette to work with, nothing like a fresh, clean, and naked jacket! Check out my etsy page www.coffinkitsch.etsy.com.

My own vest I often wear to the club. I love all the pockets, no need to carry a purse!

Thanks for reading a little about some insight into me and some of my passions.

XOXO-Meagan Kyla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^