Sponsor + Ad Info

Monday, November 9, 2015

An Outfit and Memento Mori


Last week/this past weekend was filled with; fun, friends, family, food and finds. Phew, that's a lot of F's and alliteration! I took a moment to snap a few photos of my outfit for Friday night dinner with my in-laws, who were in town for the weekend. 


I found this gorgeous lightweight velvet swing coat at a thrift store on Tuesday and I welcomed it into my wardrobe. It's the perfect compliment to a drapey lace dress and winklepickers and it's fun to twirl around in. Hehehe! I like to layer different textures together, especially when I'm wearing an all black ensemble. 


I also welcomed a new addition to my Memento Mori collection, a Victorian hair wreath. If you're not familiar with hair art, than this is a great blog post to read. Derek and I took a trip out to an antique shop that we saw advertising on Craigslist, the shop is called "Weird, But True Antiques". About an hour away from Buffalo, we drove out last Sunday and were not disappointed. The small shop was filled with antique taxidermy, skulls, casket plates and had the beautiful hair wreath which is now displayed on our living room wall. (Here is an interesting article about why it's called a living room). Derek was already arranging for the hair wreath to be picked up at a later date when I asked, "Can this be my Yule gift?!". I normally don't ask for such things, but I had already fell in love.


Now it's home. I never thought I'd own a hair wreath, let alone one that is so beautiful and well displayed.


 Derek did turn to me one evening (after I was gushing over the piece) and said lovingly, "You're a weird girl". No shit, you married me! Hahahaha!!! 

Morbidly Yours,
Meagan Kyla


24 comments:

  1. Wow - that hair is just lovely. What a great find. So is you outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you love! I have to admit I am still shocked we found the wreath AND that it's on my wall ;)

      Delete
  2. Amazing outfit! This hair colour suits you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that hair wreath is so awesome. Truly a lost art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh I would definitely love a woven hair piece from the Victorian era, whether it was a ring, etc! I have never seen a whole wreath, what a piece!

    The outfit is so cool and witchy, what a great op shop find! It has been ages since mine had anything good in my size, I suspect they send better stuff to the city! Also they started pricing some stuff so high I can't even afford it! At least I can sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a tough one. As vintage has become more popular and harder to find, it's driven the prices up and (like you said) they send the pieces to places they know will catch the highest dollar amount. Poop on that. ;)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hahahaa, no worries! It's all good conversation!

      Delete
  6. Such cool and grim find! The hair wreath is beautiful and eerie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lucky girl!
    What I would give to have a memento mori piece. I shave my husbands head monthly, and every month I ask him if I could use his trimmings in a DIY faux memento piece. Every month he says no... One day he'll crack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Keep working on him ;) I want a piece of my husbands hair to wear in a locket.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful coat and your hair looks amazing!

    I love hairwork - I'm getting a little obsessed with the jewellery since my internship at the museum - we have a lot of small pieces like rings and brooches, also some necklaces and bracelets, most are in storage sadly. I'd never seen a wreath like this before though, It's amazing! Thank you for the link too - I don't know enough about hair art in America so I'm adding some of the recommended books to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your lace dress it looks amazing, the shape has that great trad witchy look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H&M a few years ago had some interesting lace dresses, I grabbed this on in their sale section. You just never know!

      Delete
    2. I tempted to take inspiration and make one lol.It's such a fun gothic dress

      Delete
  10. Love the outfit! What a neat find! I have never seen anything like that before, thanks for posting the link to the hairwork article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, I hope you find it interesting! :)

      Delete
  11. What a stunning hair wreath. I love hair jewelry and decor. It's never creeped me out at all. Far from it, I think it's an incredible way to tangibly keep the memory of someone with us, even if we no longer (sadly) know who the hair belonged to in the first place. Plus, it taps into my lifelong passion for both history and genealogy. Thank you for sharing your stellar find with us,

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it must be hair from a family, seeing as it is large. I wish I knew the name of family as it's an amazing piece that took a lot of time and skill. <3

      Delete
  12. LOL. That's a great story. Such a fun sounding shop too! Congratulations on your great find!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^