Sponsor + Ad Info

Friday, December 23, 2016

(Not Such a) Happy Birthday


My birthday was the 19th and I turned 36, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. I got this gorgeous necklace from Derek by Purgatory Plaything. I own a few of her pieces, so I'm excited to add this one to the collection! 

So, why wasn't my birthday not so happy? Well, Derek's grandmother was dying. We found out late last week that she was gravely ill and didn't have much time, but when we found out this information, his parents told us not to worry about making the trip as time was running out. Well Nana (as they all call her), held on for quite a few days and there was some hope that she may rally and still live. Well, we got the call on Sunday evening to come and say goodbye, so I scrabbled around to get last minute flights for Monday to get us to Virginia. 

Needless to say it was sad. A woman who was so healthy and vibrant two months ago when we surprised her with a visit, was lying there lifeless looking like she was 100. She passed peacefully surrounded by her loving sons and family. I'm glad we went, as I know it was good for Derek and the rest of his family, especially his Father. I loved Nana like she was my own Grandmother. She welcomed me with one arms into her close knit family and would always hold my hand and tell me, "I'm so glad you (Derek and I) found each other." 

So, I now share my birthday with Nana's passing, but (as her family believes), it was her new birthday joining God. 


I'm so ready to say goodbye to 2016



11 comments:

  1. That is just so heartbreaking..I lost my grandmother too just before Yuletide, 9th of december 2010. But we managed through that Yule too, with a companion of closest ones and just taking it easy. Next year and next when some time passed by,it came easier to remember her, especially old,
    good times and childhood Yule´s once again and I can tell, it hurt less year by year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. Not a great birthday in the traditional sense. You and Derek were there to offer comfort at a difficult time. That is a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. My condolences to you and Derek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My partner's grandparents always made me feel like their own! My dear sis in law now shares her birthday with her grandfather passing which can't be easy. It is so hard to lose a loved one around a time like Christmas when families usually get together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meagan, I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I saw the picture of you all on Instagram but as you noted, 2016 has sucked so much that recently I have only been able to look at IG pics. Sorry my condolences are delayed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad! Sorry to hear about the passing of your Nana! I'm glad you all were able to be there with her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^