Sponsor + Ad Info

Friday, August 7, 2020

Modified Lip Service Maxi Dress

 


I have to admit I had a strong Poshmark addiction for while. It was way too easy to use the app to find 2nd hand clothing, shoes, etc. Most of my purchases were hits and a few were slight misses. This Lip Service dagger maxi dress wasn't exactly a miss, but it was way too tight in the chest. So, I gave it a chop and made the dress into a maxi skirt.

Poshmark listing, photo from seller.



I carefully cut off the top part which included the corset-like waist (it actually looked terrible on me anyways), and then cannibalized a separate skirt for the large elastic band. Pinned elastic to Lip Service skirt, ran it through the sewing machine and Voila! Breathed some new life into something that wasn't getting worn!

I used to be so afraid to modify certain pieces of clothing because, of the brand's label or thinking I was going to "hurt" the garment in some way. Pfffft, I've gotten over that. If it doesn't work and I can make it better to fit me (and have the confidence to not destroy it completely), I go for it! I did want to be a 'fashion designer' at one point in my youth, so I feel like I'm channeling that little dream. :)

Wearing:
Bat necklace: ebay (old)
Crystal chain necklace: Purgatory Playthings
Crop Top: Target
Skirt: Lip Service via Poshmark
Shoes: thrifted by Julie Ann, gifted to me. Brand: London Underground


I'm always striving to wear what I have and be grateful, but I'm not going to deny that I do like to hunt for new pieces. I've been window shopping etsy and ebay, but I have been staying away from Poshmark. I had to break up with her as it was toooooo tempting. Hahaha! I know Poshmark is only a USA app, so have any of you used any other 2nd hand app or site that I haven't mentioned?



5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you are back! The dress looks so great as a skirt! I have been using depop sometimes even though there are not that much Finnish sellers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy to be back, hehe! I looked at depop and I have to admit, I had a hard time navigating the app. Any advice?

      Delete
    2. I admit its not the easiest to find things with. Easiest way to use it have bunch of people with similar taste and follow them so cool things just pop up in the feed. How I do it is just put the filter to worldwide and search with clothing brands I like. Tho it tends to give me a bunch of US sellers that way, but the Finnish selection is so lean anyways. I have not used many of these apps, there are probably better ones out there and no one is just telling me. :'D

      Delete
  2. All I have to say is, you should have seen what I did to the wedding dress and crinolines from my first marriage. Ahem. There was dye involved and a TON of modification.

    Love the outfit, but can we talk about those awesome drapes?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, I'm sure it was very cathartic to modify that dress!

      The drapes, lol! I went through a "We NEED new curtains for the living room" and thus these were procured via the internet. I love the curtains, just didn't love them in the living room and went back to the OG curtains I first bought for the house. Lesson learned=when it works, it works! So, they are now my fancy background hanging in our basement. LOL!!!!

      Delete

Thank you for connecting with me! Your comment will be (read!) and published shortly. ^v^ ^V^ ^v^